PPC and SEO are two online marketing strategies that can greatly increase the traffic and success of your business. However each of these has a specific time and place where they can deliver you the greatest benefit. Knowing when to use them and in the right way that meets your budget can unlock so many doors for your business.
Pay Per Click (PPC)
PPC a.k.a Pay Per Click can be extremely useful for emerging businesses. There are a number of PPC platforms; one of the most well-known is Google Adwords.
PPC can be an excellent tool for new businesses as you can:
- Easily track your results
- Target your audience
- Get fast results
- Budget Friendly (you won’t pay more then you specify)
- You can easily make small adjustments to find out how to get the maximum impact from your campaign
- PPC does not suffer from such drastic changes that SEO encounters such as algorithm changes causing organic ranking decreases.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
SEO or Search Engine Optimisation is a different way of online marketing. It focuses on keywords and ‘back end’ optimisation to make your site more prominent and achieves organic growth for your business.
SEO advantages over PPC:
- SEO can provide a better long term return on investment than PPC.
- 60% of traffic often goes to the top result on a search engine, so it makes sense to be number one in the search results.
- SEO allows you to dive deeper into the people using your website which provides fantastic audience data
- On average, small business that undertake SEO can expect their site to grow up to 40% faster then ones that don’t.
- SEO strategies can be tailored to each customer and their goals.
- Organic rankings from SEO is seen to be more reliable and trustworthy than paid ads in the eyes of customers.
So which tool should you use?
A blend of both SEO and PPC approaches will almost always deliver the best results and growth. If you are a small business that is just starting out, PPC will get you immediate growth and exposure.
Once your business is semi-established and your website is up and running smoothly then SEO is a great way to increase traffic, reach wider audiences and obtain sustained, long term results.
Richard is the owner and head of digital at Tailored SEO. He has worked in the digital marketing space for over 10 years and has worked with a wide range of clients.